Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Lare Oibor

Yesterday (3/21) was the first day that the construction team and the medical team were on the same site.  Lare Oibor is Ken and Susan's church plant and the people there are very dear to them and they are becoming dear to us.  The church you saw in the video at Westview was only a pole barn.  Today it is enclosed in stone and mortar.  The Compassion school is walled in and the kitchen is under construction as of yesterday.  Much has been accomplished and God has been good.  Construction is going well.  They are expecting the new wood stove for the kitchen tomorrow.  Pray for them as they do a lot of heavy labor and some are not feeling well. 


Construction on the new kitchen with the old kitchen in the background.

The medical team's primary focus at Lare Oibor is to screen all the children and de-worm them.  We saw approximately 130 children yesterday.  It was tiring, but good to be helping.  Bob and I (Heather) did see a couple of more serious things that we tended to at the end of the day. 


Michelle administering de-worming medication to a child.

Nicholle attending to the burn victim.


Heather, Brian, and Kristen debriding a burn on a young child.

Bob lancing a boil on a small boy's neck with Nicholle and Brian helping.

We were also blessed by the visit of a 70-something mama that had been praying for a church to be planted at Lare Oibor for 30 years.  God had showed her that a church would be planted in a specific location in Lare Oibor.  For 30 years she would stop at the tree near the spot whenever she walked to town to pray for the future church.  She would pray again on her way home.  Today she was there to see the fruit of her prayers and her faithfulness.  It was an honor to meet her and to see that faith can move mountains. 


Faith moving mountains in Lare Oibor.  Thank you, Grace, for your obedience to God.


Thank you for your prayers for us.  We feel them.

Heather

2 comments:

  1. WOW I am touched by the 80 year old man getting baptized and taking communion and the elderly woman's testimony of praying for 30 years FAITHFULLY for a church to be planted there! So very touched by that! Amazing! Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if you still check into this blog, but I wanted to tell you what a blessing your blog was to me today. Last year, I sponsored a little Compassion boy, Butei, who lives in Lare Oibor. When I first sponsored him, my dad and I searched and searched and could find no mention of the area anywhere on the web, only an approximate location within Kenya based on the information Compassion gave. On a whim today, I again googled Lare Oibor and came across Dave's East Africa blog posts about Lare Oibor which then led me here. Seeing the photographs of Butei's church and school and reading about the area and especially reading about Grace's 30 year prayer for the church has been such a blessing on me today. Thank you for giving me a glimpse into my little guy's life! If you are so inclined, I would love to hear more about your experiences in Lare Oibor. My e-mail is mismoni.nh@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete